Have something worthwhile to say
- is this worthy of the audience’s time?
- is it relevant, interesting, new information?
Have a clear goal
- what do you want to accomplish with this presentation–how do you hope your audience thinks or behaves differently after your presentation?
Adapt to your audience
- what do you know about them?
- how can you be more effective based on what you know about them?
Make clear points
- the point should fit into the following blank: I will show that ____________
- repeat them several times
- write them on a chalkboard, PowerPoint, or flip chart
Support your points with evidence
- use stories, examples, statistics, added details, your personal experience, the testimony of an expert, etc.
- never read or try to memorize
- outline the points you plan to make and the evidence you will use
- practice several times to family members or friends
- speak to your audience not at them